REDDITCH United finally ended their losing streak with a 1-0 win at Southern League Premier Division Central play-off rivals Stratford Town to stay in the promotion race.

The Reds had a bright start and in the third minute Reece Flanagan attempted a half-volley from just inside the Stratford half but the ball smashed the bar after flying over keeper Callum Smith.

Brad Burton then crossed for Jordan Cranston who forced a fingertip save from Smith.

Stratford came close to the lead after they broke away and the ball fell to Dan Lafferty but his effort was superbly cleared off the line by a Reds defender.

Redditch continued to threaten the goal constantly throughout the first half with Cranston's long-range effort denied before the same player and Zidan Sutherland directed shots over the bar.

The Bards struggled to deal with the pressure and Flanagan was challenged by a Stratford player with studs up.

Redditch's players were furious as play continued and Flanagan was booked for his protests.

But the teams entered the break all-square after a frantic half that the Reds edged.

Redditch kicked off the second period with a change in formation.

Danny King came on for Matt Fulloway and went to right wing-back with Burton moving to the left.

Stratford had a chance early on when Andre Landell beat the offside trap and was in behind but Adam Harrison did well to smother the one-on-one.

United then took the lead in the 67th minute after an error from the Bards keeper.

Harrison sent his kick long and Smith attempted to claim it.

King made it his and headed the ball to Alex Cameron who found the back of the net.

Stratford piled bodies into the box forcing Redditch to defend for their lives but the Reds held on and grabbed a massive win in the play-off hunt.

Redditch, who remained sixth just outside the play-offs ahead of the midweek fixtures, host Leiston at the Valley Stadium on Saturday (3pm).

Meanwhile, a Dylan Hadley goal was the difference between Alvechurch and Bromsgrove Sporting at Lye Meadow on Saturday.

The lively forward's 49th-minute strike was a rare moment of quality in an otherwise drab encounter which saw the windy weather have a massive impact.

The game's only goal in front of a crowd of 645 came via Hadley cutting inside from a wide position which allowed him to find the top corner with a curled shot.

Church visit Coalville Town on Saturday (3pm).