STEVE Diamond earned his first win as Worcester boss as his side edged a thrilling contest at Sixways by beating Bristol Bears 19-14.

Number eight Sione Vailanu scored the winning try shortly after half-time following scored from Duhan van der Merwe and Ashley Beck in the first-half as Warriors ended a five match losing run in the league.

Warriors led 14-0 after 20 minutes thanks to van der Merwe and Beck but Bristol responded through Steven Luatua and Max Lahiff to level the scores at half-time, 14-14.

Tongan Vailanu was having a destructive game, knocking players over left right and centre and he did just that on his way to the try-line to score the winning try in the 45th minute.

It was an emotional evening at Sixways as there was a minute's applause for Evesham RFC player Jack Jeffery who died last wekeend whilst playing for his club.

Both sets of players joined first team members of the Evesham squad, as well as the family of Mr Jeffery, on the pitch before the game to celebrate his life. 

The rugby then started and the hosts flew out of the blocks and scored within five minutes as Jamie Shillcock's clever grubber kick in behind the Bristol backline popped up into van der Merwe's hands and the Scottish international dotted down on his return from international duty. 

Warriors were on top and were aggressive in both attack and defence and just before the 20th minute, a powerful carry from Tongan Vailanu got Worcester within range and the ball found its way to captain for the night Beck, who crossed from close range. 

Two brilliant conversions were slotted from fly-half Fin Smith and the hosts helf a 14-0 lead.

Bristol began to work their way into it and penalties against Warriors stated to mount, forcing them back.

Another saw fly-half Callum Sheedy pop a kick into the corner and from the maul they worked it infield and captain Steve Luatua muscles his way over the line to reduce the deficit.

And then just a couple of minutes later they found themselves level when another kick to the corner provided the platform for prop Lahiff to score from close range.

Warriors suffered a further blow on half-time as full-back Jamie Shillcock was helped off the field with a serious loking injury.

The winning score came just five minutes after the break as the impressive Vailanu picked up from the base of a ruck on half-way, before smashing through Sheedy and then full-back Ioan Lloyd on his way to the try-line, much to the joy of the bouyant crowd. 

It was a cagey second-half and both sides made all their changes.

Bristol had few chances of note as Worcester defended courageously a couple of times to prevent the visitors from getting close.

Semi Radradra was kept quiet in the main but a golden chance did present itself as the half wore on.

Bears had created an overlap out wide but Alapati Leiua could not hold on to the ball with the try line in sight. 

A yellow card to Bears' Jack Bates with 20 minutes to go looked to prove costly but the away side saw out the period a man down well. 

It was a nervy ending and Leiua almost found a way through in the final play but his hands let him down and Warriors secured the win.