DUHAN van der Merwe and Jamie Shillcock both scored two tries apiece as Worcester Warriors produced their finest performance of the season in a bonus-point 27-14 win over Sale Sharks at Sixways. 

Both scored sensational second-half solo tries to wrap up the bonus-point and ensure that Warriors responded in the best possible way to the 66-10 defeat at Northampton Saint last weekend.

Sale scored tries through Gus Warr and Curtis Langdon but in truth they were well off the pace and outfought by Worcester on the day.

The result sees Warriors move up into tenth and is their first win against a side that isn't London Irish since beating a Saracens side in September of last year.

Having been thrashed last weekend and with some serious questions being asked, Warriors responded in the perfect way and raced into a 14-0 lead early doors.

First, Shillcock found a gap in the Sale defence from short range to cross before van der Merwe was set away to run in his first try in a Worcester shirt after Ollie Lawrence identified a two-on-one down the flank.

Sale responded with 20 minutes on the clock as scrum-half Warr spotted a gaping role around the fringes of a ruck to dart over.

Fin Smith kicked a penalty before the break to extend lead to 10 points and at half-time Warriors were in control.

The visitors started well in the second period but relentless defence from Warriors kept them out before the try of the game was scored.

Shillcock brushed off Luke James on half-way before a cheeky offload set van der Merwe away down the left before he swatted away a number of Sale defenders before dotting down.

Sharks were n ot at their best but they managed to keep themselves in the game when replacement hooker Curtis Langdon crossed to make it 22-14.

The bonus-point was wrapped up thirteen minutes from time and what a try it was.

Man of the match Shillcock broke through a tackle down the same wing van der Merwe had just scored and the full-back showed equally good finishing skills to dive over, much to the delight of the Worcester fans in attendance.

Sale pushed towards the end to gain at least a losing bonus-point but the hosts were determined not to let it happen and they valiantly kept them at bay.

The full-time whistle was greeted with a huge ovation as players and supporters celebrated a hugely satisfying win.