EXCITING Alcester left it late before snatching a dramatic last minute try to defeat bottom side Old Wheatleyans 22-18 in Midland League Division 3 West South.

In a tough bruising battle, Wheats took the early initiative when they scored directly from a lineout on Alcester's 22.

Early substitute Lee Avery-Sherwood helped level matters by crashing through the home defence to set up Jack Green for his opening try of the game.

Centre Jamie Harland then scored under the posts, to level matters at two tries apiece by half time, the only difference being the accurate boot of Max Biltcliffe who converted both of his side's tries to put Alcester 14-10 in front at the break.

The match continued to swing either way as both sides battled it out on a waterlogged pitch.

Wheats dominated for long periods and went back in front with another try.

The teams then traded kicks and Wheats were 18-17 ahead going into the closing minutes of the game.

However the impressive Green was determined not to be beaten and while playing at full back following an injury to Oscar Holland produced a kick over the top, which he and his brother Josh O'Connor chased down.

O'Connor turned the ball over and passed to Green, who in turn dived over to score and win the match.

The defeat condemned Wheats to relegation while Alcester remain fifth, just nine points adrift of second placed Old Leamingtonians who they entertain this Saturday.

Alcester seconds snapped up a 20-5 triumph over Old Laurentians thirds.

Jake Grainger scored the only points of the first half to give his side a 5-0 lead at the break.

Carwyn Dickenson doubled Alcester's score before Gaz Morgan bagged the best try of the game following a fabulous driving maul.

Grainger then grabbed his second try of the game before Laurentians responded with a late consolation score.

The seconds take on Birmingham Medical Students this Saturday in their annual friendly fixture.

It was a good week for Alcester who were also able to field a Third XV as they beat Kings Norton 39-36.

The thirds were boosted by the presence of top try scorer Jack Green who responded with a hat-trick, Steve Mason scored two more with Phil Birks adding a sixth.

However it took a last minute penalty from Paul Taylor to clinch victory having earlier landed three conversions.