THE latest local elections show the iniquity of the first past the post system. The average turnout was 30.85 per cent.

Out of nine wards, only one candidate managed to get more than 50 per cent of the votes cast; Lodge Park with 55.36 per cent. Congratulations.

The other eight wards only averaged 42.96 per cent of the votes cast; that leaves 57.04 per cent of voters not wanting the first past the post candidate. The worst case was Winyates where the candidate got in with 36.23 per cent of the votes cast.

The last General Election was bad enough for unequal votes. How much longer does the electorate really want to maintain this unfair voting system? Why are forms of proportional representation ok for Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales (also the election of the MEPs), but not England?

The winners are laughing all the way to the council chamber.

Peter Merricks