AN OVERTURNED lorry between Worcester and Droitwich closed a section of the M5 for over eight hours due to a 'complex recovery'.

Between junction six (Worcester) and junction five (Droitwich), the M5 was closed so that National Highways could carry out the complex recovery throughout the night (Tuesday, December 5 to Wednesday, December 6).

Barrier repairs caused by the damage from the crash also took place during the closure.

The motorway closure had major traffic implications felt across the county with long delays in Worcester.

FirstBus said it was experiencing 30 minute delays this morning (Monday) as a result of the crash.

A West Mercia Police spokesperson said: "We received a call around 11pm yesterday evening (Wednesday, December 5) with a report of a traffic incident on the M5 between junction six and junction five.

"Officers attended the incident to find a lorry had lost its load blocking the motorway. The motorway is now open."

The motorway reopened at approximately 7.39am this morning, according to National Highways. 

Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue had six crews in attendance at the scene, and West Midlands Ambulance Service also attended - but no injuries were reported.

A Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue spokesperson said: "Six Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service crews – two from Worcester, one from Droitwich, one from Bromsgrove, one from Evesham and one from Hereford Fire Stations – were called at 11.11pm on Tuesday, December 5, to an RTC involving a large vehicle on the M5 northbound between junctions six and five.

"The incident involved an HGV recovery vehicle towing an HGV and trailer.

"No persons were trapped and there were no casualties.

"The incident was marked as pending closure at 01:18. Police, ambulance and highways were also in attendance."

A West Midlands Ambulance spokesperson said that the driver of the lorry was assessed by medics the scene.

They said: "We were called to reports of an RTC on the M5 Northbound between junctions six and five near Droitwich and Worcester at around 11.05pm.

"A paramedic officer and paramedic crew were sent to the scene where, on arrival, crews discovered a lorry had rolled onto its side.

"The driver, a man, was assessed by medics but was not injured so was given self-care advice and discharged at the scene."

When the road reopened, there was approximately two miles of congestion between the junctions.