A DRUG driver caught on the M5 has been banned from getting behind the wheel. 

Simon Messenger, of Littlewoods, Crabbs Cross, Redditch, admitted driving a motor vehicle with a proportion of a specified controlled drug above the specified limit and using a motor vehicle on a road/public place with no insurance.

Thomas Wickstead, prosecuting, said the 44-year-old was stopped on the M5 southbound Junction 4 (for Bromsgrove), in a Renault Twingo on February 2 this year. 

Police checks revealed he had no insurance and, after being taken to the police station, he gave an evidential blood sample which showed the proportion of Benzoylecgonine - a breakdown product of cocaine - was above the legal limit. 

Redditch Advertiser: DRIVER: Drug driver Simon Messenger who was caught on the M5DRIVER: Drug driver Simon Messenger who was caught on the M5 (Image: Sam Greenway/Newsquest)

Mark Turnbull, defending, said Messenger had thought he would be OK to drive having taken cocaine days before. 

The solicitor explained Messenger had committed the offence on a Saturday when the steel constructor was going into work to do overtime. 

Mr Turnbull explained the vehicle was not insured as he had not had the funds to do so. 

"He took the chance," Mr Turnbull said. 

For the latest court and crime stories why not sign up to Sam Greenway's weekly newsletter? It's easy, just sign up for our email newsletters here and all the important stories that matter to you will be delivered straight to your inbox.

"He didn't want to miss out on overtime and let his boss down."

Mr Turnbull added there had been no poor standard of driving that alerted police, only being stopped originally on the no insurance matter. 

Magistrates banned Messenger from driving for a year. 

READ MORE: Stalker dad-of-five who threatened to share intimate picture is sent to jail

READ MORE: Luck runs out for new dad street brawler as judge jails him

READ MORE: River Severn otter wows eyewitnesses

He was warned driving while disqualified was an offence that could lead to him going to prison. 

The defendant was given six penalty points, and fined £400. 

He was also ordered to pay £320 victim surcharge and costs of £135. 

Magistrates accepted an offer to pay the £1,255 total at a rate of £30 a week.

The case was heard at Worcester Magistrates Court on August 22.