TEENAGE drug dealers, one of whom was carrying a knife, have been warned by a judge they are in 'last chance saloon' after he spared them both an immediate jail sentence.

Tyrone James and Robinson Woja both admitted possession of heroin and cannabis with intent to supply after they ran away from police in Redditch.

Woja also admitted a further count of possession of a blade or knife in a public place.

The men, both now 18 years of age, were youths at the time of the offences at around 2.20am on May 30 last year. Both appeared at Worcester Crown Court on Tuesday, April 2.

John Brotherton, prosecuting, said police were alerted to two males acting suspiciously in Holloway Drive and Union Street, Redditch.

He said: "One of the males had been seen to put a knife into his waistband."

When officers approached the pair ran in the opposite direction towards the underpass in Holloway Drive but ran into the path of plain clothes officers said Mr Brotherton.

Self-sealed bags of cannabis were recovered from James and £468 was seized from him.

They also found wraps of heroin recovered from the floor of the custody block, four deal bags and a grinder.

"A large kitchen knife was also recovered from a nearby bush. The defendant Mr Woja had been seen to throw that into a bush" said Mr Brotherton.

Police also seized £204 from Woja.

In total police seized seven packages of heroin with a street value of around £70 and 2.41g of cannabis with a street value of around £22.

James' phone showed two 'broadcast messages' about the drugs, one sent out to 21 contacts and the other sent out to 28.

The messages related to cannabis with none referring to heroin.

James already had a conviction for possession with intent to supply heroin and cocaine on June 22 last year.

The offences themselves were committed on February 21 last year and he was made the subject of a referral order.

Woja had no previous convictions aside from a drug-related caution.

Recorder David Chinery said the offences crossed the custody threshold and told the defendants: "I hope you both realise the seriousness of the position that you have put yourselves in."

He said he took into account the 'articulate and moving letter' James had sent to the court but said: "In particular you have to think about you affect on family if you commit offences again. Not only are you letting yourself down, you're letting them down."

Recorder Chinery said both men had managed to stay out of trouble and could make 'decent citizens of yourselves' but said both needed to realise how close they had come to custody.

He said: "You are both very much in last chance saloon. Is that clear to you?"

Both men answered 'yes'.

James of Powis Avenue, Tipton, was sentenced to 18 months in prison suspended for two years and must complete 16 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

He was also placed on an electronically monitored curfew between 7pm and 7am daily for 42 days.

Woja of Sarah Close, Bilston, was sentenced to 24 months in prison suspended for two years and must complete 35 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

Both men were also ordered to pay £100 each as a contribution towards costs and £140 each as a statutory victim surcharge.

The judge also authorised the forfeiture and destruction of the drugs and the knife and the confiscation of the cash seized.