REDDITCH British National Party councillor David Enderby has lost his appeal against criminal convictions for assaulting his estranged wife and mother-in-law.

Enderby lashed out after flying into a rage and barging into a family birthday celebration.

During the melée, he grabbed his wife, Jane, and his mother-in-law, Noel Campion, causing bruising, as children at the party screamed and cried.

Enderby also picked up a 14-year-old girl and flung her across the living room.

After he was manhandled outside, he drove off but was later arrested by police and spent the night in the cells before being charged.

Enderby, aged 46, of Winyates East, pleaded not guilty to the three assaults when he appeared at Kidderminster Magistrates Court in January but was convicted and fined £300 with £100 costs.

But he appealled aginst the convictions and a two-day hearing was held at Worcester Crown Court, ending on Friday.

All three appeals were dismissed and he was ordered to pay £200 towards the Crown's costs.

Judge Daniel Pearce-Higgins QC said: "What should have been a happy event turned into a disaster."

The appeal hearing was told that Enderby and his wife had split up in January 2004 and she had gone to live with her mother and stepfather in Greenlands. She had taken their three children with her.

Divorce proceedings have been started. In the original divorce petition, Mrs Enderby said her husband had been violent towards her during the marriage, a claim Enderby disputed.

The assaults took place in June last year after Enderby had gone by arrangement to the extended family's home to deliver birthday presents.

But, according to John Brotherton, barrister for the Crown, he flew into a rage when he walked into the house uninvited and was told by his estranged wife and mother-in-law to leave.

Enderby then barged into the living room to retrieve the presents he had taken, which is when the assaults took place, the court heard.

In evidence, former soldier Enderby, who was elected to the council less than two months before the incident, claimed he never assaulted anyone and that he himself had been the victim of assault.

Enderby said he had been held so tightly round the throat he was unable to speak afterwards.

He added he had been trying to get out of the house when he was manhandled and had not been attempting to resist.