Second half treble sinks brave Redditch

First published in Reports
Last updated

St Albans City 3, Redditch Utd 0

Redditch shipped three second half goals to return from promotion hopefuls St Albans empty-handed.

But it could have been a different story if Simon Redhead’s had managed to turn their first half possession into goals.

Liam McDonald sent Connor Deards through on 11 minutes but the former Walsall trainee fired wide.

Four minutes later and the Reds squandered their best chance of the game, a 30-yard effort from Dean Bennett that crashed against the upright.

Having been in control for much of the half, the visitors almost conceded just before the break when Asa Charlton’s foul on James Comley resulted in a penalty but Greg Ngoyi’s spot kick was well saved by keeper Brad Catlow.

St Albans upped their game in the second period, helped by the introduction of substitutes Brad Wadkins and Chris Henry.

They duly took the lead midway through the half when Wadkins managed to hold off two defenders before placing his shot beyond Catlow.

Henry added his name to the scoresheet on 81 minutes, firing home from a narrow angle, and he then turned provider in injury time when he teed up Ngoyi who made up for his earlier penalty miss.

Redditch’s best chance of the second half fell to McDonald but he was denied by a save from City keeper Nick Jupp.

There was also a cameo performance from on loan Forest Green Rovers winger George Washbourne who came off the bench for the final stages.

Reds: Catlow 6, Moran 6, Charlton 5 (Dovey 82), Flanagan 6, Costello 5, Hands 7, Deards 6 (Hylton 67, 5), McDonald 6, RICHARDS 7, Bennett 6, Quaynor 5 (Washbourne 76). Sub (not used): Oshungbure.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree