WORCESTER Warriors gave Wasps a fright at Sixways as they pushed the high-fliers all the way in a scrappy Aviva Premiership clash.

But they had no points to show for their efforts as Willie Le Roux and Josh Bassett went over in the final 10 minutes to clinch a 24-10 victory for the visitors.

Worcester, who drew level at 10-10 at the start of the second half, will take a lot of positives from their performance, especially after their 35-8 loss at Newcastle Falcons on the opening day.

But there are concerns for Nick Schonert and Tom Heathcote who were forced off with ankle and head injuries respectively.

Tighthead prop Schonert was left in agony when he went down holding his ankle in the opening 24 seconds.

Wasps then put Warriors under pressure as Bassett scampered down the left before being brought down by Bryce Heem.

Worcester held their own in the early stages with Donncha O’Callaghan and Matt Cox disrupting Wasps’ line-out.

Warriors tried to make ground themselves but mistakes kept creeping into their game and Wasps got the first points on the board on 19 minutes.

Gerrit-Jan van Velze was penalised for holding on and Jimmy Gopperth converted in front of the posts.

Three minutes later the visitors got their opening try as the ball was swiftly moved out wide to Marcus Watson.

The wing then gathered his own grubber kick and despite the best efforts of Jonny Arr he dotted down.

Gopperth converted to open up a 10-0 lead.

Warriors had a chance to respond from the restart as they won a penalty and secured a line-out but Ben Te’o knocked on.

Both teams made handling errors in a match affected by driving rain and strong winds.

With three minutes to go in the half Warriors thought they had scored as Perry Humphreys linked up with Tom Heathcote superbly with the latter going in under the posts.

But the try was chalked off after Sam Lewis was adjudged to have blocked Ashley Johnson in the build-up.

Despite the blow Warriors did get the try their possession deserved.

After a Wasps line-out deep in their own half the ball squirmed loose, Worcester latched on to it and Biyi Alo bundled over from close range. Heathcote added the extras to cut the deficit to 10-7.

But moments after the break the fly-half had to leave the field after being clattered by number eight Nathan Hughes.

Following 10 scrappy minutes at the start of the second half Warriors finally got inside Wasps’ 22 with van Velze and Cox prominent.

And their pressure resulted in a penalty which Sam Olver kicked to level the scores on 56 minutes.

With Wasps making mistakes Warriors were determined to make the most of it and they secured another penalty with 15 minutes left.

But Olver’s effort cannoned off the upright and Wasps immediately made him pay for it.

Some slick handling released Le Roux who sped down his wing and crossed the whitewash.

Gopperth’s conversion went over off the upright.

Joe Simpson then came close to bagging another late try for Wasps as he darted through.

But Alafoti Fa’osiliva did brilliantly to bring the scrum-half down a few metres from the try-line.

However, Wasps did get a third try late on when Bassett gathered a clever kick from Danny Cipriani and finished in the corner before Gopperth added the extras to complete the scoring.