Alcester 21, Manor Park 40

ALCESTER slipped to defeat against their high-flying Nuneaton opponents despite an improved showing at King’s Coughton in the Midlands Division Four West (South).

The visitors scored an early penalty and when they were awarded a scrum ten metres from the Alcester line still inside the opening 20 minutes the clean ball gained was quickly sent wide for their right winger to score in the corner.

The visitors’ pack upped their game in the second quarter of the match and they crashed over for the first of three driven line out tries in the game to open up a 13-0 lead.

The young Alcester side found a reply when skipper Ben Hope dived over from close range.

The visitors struck straight back with a drop goal to take the score to 16-5 in their favour, before a misplaced home kick gave possession away and from a line out that followed the visitors crashed over for their third try.

There was still time before the break for Alcester to narrow the gap with a Simon Gardener penalty.

In the second half, the home side wforced a penalty which Simon Gardener slotted to bring his side back to 21-11.

The visitors scored their third catch and drive try from a line out in the early stages of the second half, before their player coach Lee Maddison set up the bonus point touchdownand a 35-11 lead.

To their credit, Alcester kept going and a great finish from Luke Spencer bought a bonus point within reach, although this was quickly cancelled out by another score by the visitors which brought any hope of a consolation for Alcester to an end.

However, the home side enjoyed much the better of the closing stages and they got a deserved third try through Will Harcourt after great work by Sean Sudworth.

In the Warwickshire Second XV Shield, Alcester went down 17-0 to Alcester.

The under-16s edged out Woodrush 25-24 to record their first win of the season.

Kyran Flynn opened the scoring with a try and skipper Josh Godson brilliantly converted to give his side a 7-0 lead. Lock Nick Rymsza added a second.

Woodrush replied with a touch down of their own, only for Dom Evans to score.

But the half ended 17-12 in favour of Alcester after the away side bagged another try.

Fred Badham’s try had extended the home team’s lead but Woodrush scored twice to edge ahead. But Godson made sure of the win with a penalty.