Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting RA NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Warning to pet owners following death of two dogs
2:50pm Wednesday 26th September 2012 in Local
A DEVASTATED pet owner has issued a warning to other people following the death of her two beloved dogs.
Sarah Powis from Woodrow returned home recently to find one of her dogs dead and the other paralysed and seriously ill.
The dog still alive, Kia, a Staffordshire Terrier, was taken to McGettigan's Veterinary Surgery in Astwood Bank but could not be saved.
A post mortem was carried out on both dogs, the other named Cyrus, an American Bulldog, with the results showing signs of the horse tranquilliser ketamine, rat poison or another illegal drug.
Mrs Powis, who had the dogs for a number of years, said that they were both locked in her conservatory.
“I don’t know how it could have happened,” she said.
“When we came into the house and saw them both lying there, it was so upsetting.
“Both dogs were lovely, gentle and kind and were a real part of the family.”
She added: “I have two young children so I hate to think what might have happened.”
A police spokesman confirmed that the police were investigating the incident and have conducted door to door inquiries in the area.
They also urged anyone with any information about the incident to come forward and get in touch.
A spokesman from the RSPCA said that any pet owners worried about their pets, or feel they may have been poisoned, should get them to the vets as soon as possible.
He added most poisons can be fast acting so speed is the key.