Teen says he saw his cousin kick man in the head as he lay bleeding in street

First published in Local

A TEENAGER has told a jury he saw his cousin kick a 50-year-old man in the head after he had been knocked out in a late night incident in a Redditch street.

Colin Mahon, aged 18, now of Albert Road, Halesowen, said he had been with his cousin Adam Haylor and others celebrating a friend's birthday. They had been in a summer house used as a bar in the garden of the house in Farm Road, Lakeside, Redditch, where he was living with his parents on the night of the incident on February 23 last year.

Mahon said they had decided to go into town and on the way there, he had been with Haylor, also 18, of Astley Close, Redditch, and a 17-year-old who cannot be named for legal reasons in Sillins Avenue. All three are on trial for manslaughter.

Soon after midnight, Nigel Shakespeare walked past with his partner Jacqueline Cull after a night drinking in the Kings Arms. Mr Shakespeare turned round because he thought one of the three had insulted him.

Mahon told the jury it was Haylor who insulted Mr Shakespeare, described in court as a big man, who was wearing a biker's leather jacket. Haylor has denied this. Mahon said the 17-year-old walked away with Mr Shakespeare trying to calm the situation down but he then heard him shout "Col, he's hit me".

Mahion said he then saw the 17-year-old punch Mr Shakespeare in the face and knock him down "in self-defence."

The 17-year-old ran away and Mahon said he went towards Mr Shakespeare, who was on the ground, when he saw Haylor approach and kick him in the head.

Haylor, who has denied he kicked Mr Shakespeare, then ran off. Mahon told the jury he rugby tackled him to the floor, grazing his knees, and then they both got up and ran.

The following day they were arrested. Mahon said he initially told police he had not seen Haylor kick Mr Shakespeare, who died from a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain, but when he was in the cells charged with manslaughter he decided to tell the full story.

Mr Shakespeare died later in hospital. Medical evidence showed he had three impacts to his head - a fractured cheekbone caused by a heavy blow, bruising to his forehead and a cut on the back of his head where he had hit the ground.

Mahon, Haylor and the 17-year-old deny manslaughter and Haylor denies a separate charge of assault causing actual bodily harm.

The trial continues.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree