A DRINK-driver pursued by police leapt from his moving car - which careered on for 150 yards with a passenger still sitting inside.

Daniel Maddocks began driving erratically after leaving a pub in the early hours, Worcester Crown Court heard.

Officers saw him hit the nearside kerb, drift over the white line and fail to stop at a junction in Church Hill, Redditch, said Paul Whitfield, prosecuting.

But as he drove towards King's Norton, he braked harshly and then jumped out.

“The Peugeot was still moving with the passenger still in his seat," said Mr Whitfield. “It carried on for 150 yards and stopped at the bottom of a dip. Maddocks jumped over a fence and was pursued across fields and detained.” The passenger was unhurt.

A roadside breath test showed an alcohol reading of 81 compared with a legal limit of 35. He refused to give a blood sample at a police station.

Maddocks, aged 25, of Shawfield, Hollywood, pleaded guilty to failing to stop for police, dangerous driving and failing to provide a blood sample.

He was given a six month jail term, suspended for 12 months, a 12-month community order which included a drink-impaired driver rehabilitation programme, 150 hours unpaid work, a three-year driving ban and ordered to take an extended driving test before going back on the road.

Judge Michael Cullum, who also imposed £340 court costs, said he had abandoned his passenger and left him to his fate, adding: "That had the greatest potential for serious harm."

Maddocks left the Oast House pub at 1.10am with his passenger on November 10 but police spotted him driving out of the car park.

He drove up to 60mph in a 40mph area and failed to heed the patrol car's blue lights and siren, said Mr Whitfield.

Maddocks told police on arrest: "My life's over now, I'm done for.”

The trainee plumber was fined £500 and banned for 18 months in 2008 for driving with excess alcohol. Two years later he was fined for failing to stop after an accident and careless driving.

Defending, David Munro said alcohol was at the root of the father-of-one's offending.When he saw the police on his tail he panicked.

He added: "He stayed in the pub until the early hours. It was anything but a sensible decision to try to drive home."