Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting RA NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Fire crews offer safety advice following arson attacks
4:40pm Monday 8th October 2012 in News
FOLLOWING a series of recent arson attacks fire crews have been calling at people’s homes to offer fire safety advice.
The Advertiser reported that during the space of a week a number of serious bin fires had happened, the latest being on Sunday, September 30.
In that incident a bin in a cupboard adjacent to the front door of a house in Dolben Lane in Winyates was set alight.
Police said that the occupants, a couple in their 20s, who had been in bed, were lucky to escape with their lives.
Other incidents included a number of bin fires in Sandhurst Close in Church Hill, on Wednesday morning, September 26.
There were two other arson attacks on the same day, in Sedgley Close and in Heronfield Close where a blue BMW car was torched.
Following the attacks Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) spent time calling at properties in the Winyates area.
Watch Commander Chris Wainwright, arson reduction officer at HWFRS, said: “Incidents of this nature do cause unease within the local community and we are working closely with the police and other partners to offer reassurance to residents living nearby."
He said that the police had increased their patrols in the area since then and a team of community safety officers who can advise residents on home fire safety had been sent out
He also explained that a working smoke alarm, installed in the correct place and tested regularly, will give an early alert to a fire and is recommended for every home.
For further information on fire Safety advice, visit hwfire.org.uk or call 0800 0321155.