Former Redditch businessman stripped of CBE after being jailed for child sex offences (From Redditch Advertiser)
Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting RA NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Former Redditch businessman stripped of CBE after being jailed for child sex offences
5:30pm Thursday 13th September 2012 in News
A FORMER Redditch businessman who was jailed earlier this year for a string of sex offences against a young girl more than 30 years ago has been stripped of his CBE.
Edward Roberts, aged 72, who was previously chairman and chief executive of Redditch-based Peterson Spring UK, was found guilty of two counts of indecency with a child and two counts of indecent assault at Aylesbury Crown Court in January.
Roberts, who lived near Worcester, committed the offences against the girl in south Buckinghamshire more than 30 years ago.
The abuse started when she was just 12-years-old.
He was awarded his CBE in 1991 for services to industry, was the founding chairman of the National Training and Enterprise Council and a former CBI West Midlands regional chairman.
In The London Gazette on September 4, a notice appeared on the stripping of his CBE.
It stated: “The Queen has directed that the appointment of Edward John Roberts to be a Commander of the Civil Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, dated 12 June 1993, shall be cancelled and annulled and that his name shall be erased from the Register of the said Order.”
When sentencing him in January, Judge Joanna Cutts QC, said to Roberts:
“You used every moment of stolen time when your family were elsewhere.
“The abuse was regular and whenever you saw her you took your opportunity. You took advantage of that young girl’s vulnerability.
“She’s been affected throughout her life by what you did.”
Roberts, who had no previous convictions, was jailed for a total of two years for the offences, half of which will be served on licence, which means he is likely to be released in January.