Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting RA NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Fire crews issue advice on chimney safety
12:00pm Thursday 25th October 2012 in News
FIRE crews were called to a house off Alcester Road in Feckenham on Monday, October 22, after reports that excessive smoke was escaping from a woodburner at the property and spreading through the rest of the house.
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) was alerted to the incident just before 9pm and three fire engines (from Droitwich, Redditch and Bromsgrove) were sent to the address.
Crews arrived to find smoke coming from a void at the side of the chimney and so removed the woodburner to help locate the source of the fire. Firefighters also used thermal imaging equipment, a chimney kit and two hose reels as they tackled a fire in the chimney, plus positive pressure ventilation fans to help clear the smoke.
Watch commander Ade Taylor from HWFRS explained that the source of the fire proved difficult to locate. He said: “The house is thought to be around 600 years old and there were many hidden timbers and joists. We had to cut away sections of the wall to expose the beams and identify exactly where the smoke was coming from.”
Crews remained at the scene until the early hours of the following morning and a further re-inspection took place later that day to confirm that there were no further outbreaks of fire.
Watch commander Taylor urged people with woodburners in their homes to be sure to have their chimneys swept on a regular basis and to ensure that flues and chimney liners are well-maintained.
Further advice on chimney safety is available at the service’s website hwfire.org.uk under Latest Campaigns, with links to approved chimney sweeps operating locally.